Art Alexion on 15 Sep 2004 15:34:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

Rebecca Ore wrote:

On Wednesday, September 15, 2004, at 08:09 AM, Art Alexion wrote:

I think it is a configuration problem because of the nature of the windows implementation of pppoe is not set to automatically reconnect. Hence, if I was getting the same disconnects when the Windows machine was connected, I would be repeatedly prompted to manually reconnect -- and I am not.

Do you have a baby router (Linksys, Belkin, NetGear) between your dsl modem and the machines?

No. I am still trying to teach myself how to configure my Linux machine via IP-Masq to act as one.

(Reading the various how-tos seems to have helped me with all of the software configurations, but I still have basic hardware questions like: I put an extra NIC in the forwarding computer -- one for the lan and one for incoming DSL. The lan NIC goes to the lan hub. Do I need another NIC and another hub for all of the machines to carry the Internet signal or is it sent over the existing lan? On a Samba lan, how do I get the Windows machine to recognize and use the ppp connection? When directly connected to the DSL modem, it uses dial up networking though there isn't really any dialing.)

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC
arthur [at] alexion [dot] com
aim: aalexion
sms: 2679725536 [at] messaging [dot] sprintpcs [dot] com

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at