Art Alexion on 15 Sep 2004 15:36:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

Paul wrote:

Rebecca Ore wrote:

Do you have a baby router (Linksys, Belkin, NetGear) between your dsl modem and the machines? They're about $30 to $60 for the wired variety and various hands on the list can talk you through the configuration if you don't have. The router will then made attempts to keep you connected if the connection fails for any reason. And most of them come with a firewall and NAT so you're going to be a bit more secure. And you won't have to use Verizon's software, either.

Verizon doesn't officially support anything other than a model of Linksys but most of the help desk kids can talk you through troubleshooting any of the baby routers.

Uh, I have good news. Routers can be gotten for $10, $15, $20 after rebate these days. That includes 802.11b routers.

I've been spying the Linksys Speed Booster 802.11g router because it's hackable and much smaller, quieter, and more energy efficient than my Classic Athlon 600 tower. That you could get for $80 maybe.

I guess what you are telling me is that my IP-Masq project is a waste of time at these prices...

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c