Stephen Gran on 15 Sep 2004 15:45:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:33:17AM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> Rebecca Ore wrote:
>

> >On Wednesday, September 15, 2004, at 08:09 AM, Art Alexion wrote:
> >
> >>I think it is a configuration problem because of the nature of the
> >>windows implementation of pppoe is not set to automatically
> >>reconnect.  Hence, if I was getting the same disconnects when the
> >>Windows machine was connected, I would be repeatedly prompted to
> >>manually reconnect -- and I am not.
> >>

> >Do you have a baby router (Linksys, Belkin, NetGear) between your dsl
> >modem and the machines?
>
> No.  I am still trying to teach myself how to configure my Linux machine
> via IP-Masq to act as one.

Very good.  The linksys (belkin, etc) routers are a good, cheap way to
go, but they don't offer the flexibility that a software firewall does.

> (Reading the various how-tos seems to have helped me with all of the
> software configurations, but I still have basic hardware questions like:
> I put an extra NIC in the forwarding computer -- one for the lan and one
> for incoming DSL.  The lan NIC goes to the lan hub.  Do I need another
> NIC and another hub for all of the machines to carry the Internet signal
> or is it sent over the existing lan?  On a Samba lan, how do I get the
> Windows machine to recognize and use the ppp connection?  When directly
> connected to the DSL modem, it uses dial up networking though there
> isn't really any dialing.)

A connection from a machine on the LAN should go
internal machine -> hub -> linux machine -> internet.

You've already got all the pieces you need.  Just configure the linux
machine to do forwarding and NAT, and configure the client machines to
use the linux box as their gateway.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The secret of success is sincerity.     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Once you can fake that, you've got it   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | made.   -- Jean Giraudoux               |