Kevin Carruthers on 16 Sep 2004 23:52:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] deadkeys

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 18:37, Art Alexion wrote:
> Jeff's email on accented characters reminded me of this problem.  When I
> installed this distro, I decided to use the deadkeys keyboard option
> since I could never get linux to use the alt+(ansi code on num pad) that
> works for me in windows and was supposed to work in Linux also.  (I use
> the em dash, alt+0151, and the section mark, alt+0168, a lot.  Deadkeys
> don't help with this anyway.  I also use é, alt+0233, which -- as you
> can see -- deadkeys does well.)
>
> Well, it turns out that I use single ' and double ¨ quotes more than I
> use the accented characters made easier with deadkeys, and it is getting
> to be a pain -- especially switching from this computer to others that
> don't require tricks to enter tildes and quotes.  Another problem is
> that the double quotes entered by <shift+quote, space> (¨) aren't
> recognized as ascii quotes by some programs, and OpenOffice's pub quotes
> features is so incompatible that I can't enter double quotes at all in
> my word processing -- have to use two single quotes -- unacceptable.
>
> Problem is, I can't figure out how to turn them off.
>
> Machine is Red Hat 7.3.  Anyone have any ideas?

Art,

I think you are not getting the double quote at all but the umlaut, the
space being the augmented character.  It sounds like you are not getting
AltGr.

Is AltGr (ModeShift) turned on in XF86Config?

What does xmodmap show for Mod1?

On my 'us w/ dead keys' keymap (probably the same) the double quote  is
mapped to shift-AltGr-'"':

bash$ xmodmap -pk | grep quotedbl
48         0xfe51 (dead_acute)     0xfe57 (dead_diaeresis) 0x0027
(apostrophe)     0x0022 (quotedbl)

Kevin