Art Alexion on 17 Sep 2004 00:20:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] deadkeys

Kevin Carruthers wrote:

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 18:37, Art Alexion wrote:

Jeff's email on accented characters reminded me of this problem. When I installed this distro, I decided to use the deadkeys keyboard option since I could never get linux to use the alt+(ansi code on num pad) that works for me in windows and was supposed to work in Linux also. (I use the em dash, alt+0151, and the section mark, alt+0168, a lot. Deadkeys don't help with this anyway. I also use é, alt+0233, which -- as you can see -- deadkeys does well.)

Well, it turns out that I use single ' and double ¨ quotes more than I use the accented characters made easier with deadkeys, and it is getting to be a pain -- especially switching from this computer to others that don't require tricks to enter tildes and quotes. Another problem is that the double quotes entered by <shift+quote, space> (¨) aren't recognized as ascii quotes by some programs, and OpenOffice's pub quotes features is so incompatible that I can't enter double quotes at all in my word processing -- have to use two single quotes -- unacceptable.

Problem is, I can't figure out how to turn them off.

Machine is Red Hat 7.3. Anyone have any ideas?

Art,

I think you are not getting the double quote at all but the umlaut, the
space being the augmented character. It sounds like you are not getting
AltGr.

Is AltGr (ModeShift) turned on in XF86Config?

I don't think so (though I don't know what AltGr is). Here is the keyboard section

   # **********************************************************************
   # Keyboard section
   # **********************************************************************

   Section "Keyboard"
       Protocol    "Standard"

       AutoRepeat  500 5

   # when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
   # following line
       # Protocol   "Xqueue"

   # Let the server do the NumLock processing.  This should only be
   # required when using pre-R6 clients
       # ServerNumLock

   # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
       # Xleds      1 2 3

   # To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
   # RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

       LeftAlt         Meta
       RightAlt        Meta
       ScrollLock      Compose
       RightCtl        Control

   # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
   #    XkbDisable

   # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
   # lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
   # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
   #    XkbModel    "pc102"
   # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
   #    XkbModel    "microsoft"
   #
   # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
   # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
   #    XkbLayout   "de"
   # or:
   #    XkbLayout   "de"
   #    XkbVariant  "nodeadkeys"
   #
   # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
   # control keys, use:
   #    XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps"
   #
   # If you'd like to disable the capslock key, use:
   #    XkbOptions  "ctrl:nocaps"

XkbRules "xfree86"
XkbModel "logiinetnav"
XkbLayout "us_intl" XkbVariant "basic"
#XkbOptions ""
EndSection

What does xmodmap show for Mod1?

Alt_L (0x40)

On my 'us w/ dead keys' keymap (probably the same) the double quote  is
mapped to shift-AltGr-'"':

bash$ xmodmap -pk | grep quotedbl
48         0xfe51 (dead_acute)     0xfe57 (dead_diaeresis) 0x0027
(apostrophe)     0x0022 (quotedbl)

Kevin, I understand the the foregoing three line should be executed in bash, but I am lost as to what AltGr is (which I should probably understand before I do anything.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c