Greg Lopp on 17 Sep 2004 15:07:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 system_aliases and pipe_transport

Stephen Gran wrote:

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 09:25:42PM -0500, Greg Lopp said:

Stephen Gran wrote:

I don't know if you want a quick-n-dirty 'how exim handles mail' kind of
talk, but here goes -

That was the kind of rough understanding that I was seeking, but feared having to read hours of dry docs before the pieces fell into place. I now understand exim and MTAs a little better now. Thanks.

once mail makes it past the ACL's and is accepted,
exim has to figure out what to do with it.  It tries each defined router
in turn, until one accepts it or they all decline.  Each router has one
or more transports defined in them, and it is the transport that does
the work of getting the mail from the spool to the destination.  So when
I say you have a pipe_transport defined, I mean it is available for use,
but the router for /etc/aliases doesn't use it.  This is oversimplified,
of course, but that's the gist of the relationship between routers and
transports.

I took a look at /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated and found that the system_aliases section in there is unchanged (no pipe_transport defined). But the timestamp matches the time I restarted exim. Changing the order of the file and pipe transports was no help either.

I'm thinking the edits aren't being made to the right file - introduce
some random gibberrish into the file and reload - does it complain? If
it does, you're editing the right file and something very strange is
happening. If it doesn't complain - hey, we've got the wrong file.

Turns out it was using /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template. I discovered later that it comes right out and says this at the top of /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

I now get an error from the script itself, which is something I think I can handle.

Thanks again, grg