Malcolm J Harwood on 17 Sep 2004 15:10:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

On Friday 17 September 2004 10:35 am, Doug Crompton wrote:

> I believe that Verizon (only) DSL is now available at my location. I have
> been using a 24/7 dialup here for years. If I want it, it looks like I
> will have to spring for the business flavor with static IP. That is
> $79/month. A real rip-off considering the $29/month for residential dyn.
> IP.

If you just need a static IP (and not whatever else they include in "business"
if anything), consider going with a reseller. ( is the one I use -
they resell verizon/covad - currently you get up to 1.5/384 for $52/month
(inc tax)). DCA doesn't have 24x7 tech support (I think it's 8-8 and half
days on weekends), if that's an issue, but there may be people who do.

> I saw talk of PPOE etc. on the list. I am assuming that my Linux server
> attached to a DSL modem via ethernet does not know nor care what is out
> there on the other end of the ethernet (the modem - ppoe or whatever) and
> just default routes to it. I would use linux (as I currently do) to serve
> a local 192.168.x.x network.

Unfortunately that's not true. With PPOE, your linux box needs to have a PPOE
daemon running (just as you need a PPP daemon running on dialup). There's a
couple available and they work fine (I had straight Verizon for a couple of
months before discovering they lied about the availability of static IPs and
in order to upgrade from dynamic to static I had to get a real ISP).

> It looks like Verizon is really rolling out the the advertising on DSL.
> Hardly a day goes by that I don't get something in the mail.

So did I, which was somewhat amusing given they provisioned my line. If you
call them they'll stop sending you junk.

"...Acathla turned to stone, as demons sometimes do, and was buried
 where neither man nor demon would want to look.
 Unless of course they're putting up low-rent housing."
- Angelus, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Becoming