Art Alexion on 17 Sep 2004 17:16:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

Doug Crompton wrote:

Hi Pluger's,

Been awhile since I checked in, although I do read the mail from time to
time. I was the one that went after Verizon via the PUC a few years ago
regarding DSL and the lack of competition. It generated a lot of paper and
phone calls but I doubt it did much else. We are still in the same boat.

I believe that Verizon (only) DSL is now available at my location. I have
been using a 24/7 dialup here for years. If I want it, it looks like I
will have to spring for the business flavor with static IP. That is
$79/month. A real rip-off considering the $29/month for residential dyn.
IP.

I saw talk of PPOE etc. on the list. I am assuming that my Linux server
attached to a DSL modem via ethernet does not know nor care what is out
there on the other end of the ethernet (the modem - ppoe or whatever) and
just default routes to it. I would use linux (as I currently do) to serve
a local 192.168.x.x network.

Looking for others comments who have gone the static IP verizon route.

It looks like Verizon is really rolling out the the advertising on DSL.
Hardly a day goes by that I don't get something in the mail. Are they
really backing this up with more hardware especially at their RT's and
serving more of the community? This was not the case a year or two ago.

Doug,

In one of my failed attempts to set up IP forwarding, I screwed up the settings on the windows machine on the network and had to call Verizon tech. Every once in a while (rarely on the home side, but consistently on the business side), you get someone savvy and Linux-aware (not expert, but aware). Two points:

  1. Verizon's *home* pppoe delivers a static IP for /I believe he
     said/ 60 days.  (no less than 30 days before it changes).  I have
     confirmed this to be true -- not the time period, but the fact
     that I continue to be assigned the same IP repeatedly.  You could
     save $50/month if this works for you.
  2. If you do decide to go with the home service, Verizon will give
     you 8 user ID accounts to a personal domain POP (e.g.
     pop.alexion.com) free.  This is a service you will not find in the
     papers you get with the service or on the home service web site,
     but it is available.  The personal pop is serviced through the
     business DSL team where you will get pretty good customer
     service.  (I have found the home tech support the worst I have had
     with 4 ISPs in 11 years.)

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c