Paul on 17 Sep 2004 17:17:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

William G. Zappasodi wrote:

my mistake, I've been trying to get port 80 to open, but have had no luck. (linksys wrt54gs router)
thought perhaps Verizon was doing it.

In my case, my VoIP box is forwarding to my Apache server through a firewall configured using Shorewall. Shorewall was blocking RFC1918 IPs from the outside world, meaning private IPs couldn't come in from the Internet. Well, with the VoIP box in front of my firewall, *all* traffic was coming from a public IP. Making an exception for the VoIP box's IP and the server's "external" allowed port forwarding to work. The same could happen with a regular router if you have a firewall behind it instead of in front of it.