Stephen Gran on 18 Sep 2004 21:51:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim return address rewriting

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 12:48:59PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I have a Debian stable machine running exim where my user name
> ( is not my email address
> (jeffxyz @
> I would like to set up exim to make sure that email from me looks like
> it's from  (I'd like to do it at the exim level
> so that the choice of mailer isn't important.)
> Ideally, I'd like Debian to understand this change so that future
> installs / updates will get it write.
> It's not clear to me that this is possible.  Any advice?
> Tia.

You want the 'rewrite' part of exim's conf file - By default it looks at
/etc/email-addresses if found.  If you have root on the machine (which I
guess you do, if you're planning on doing it at the exim level) put an
entry of the form

in /etc/email-addresses.  Other ways include using the rewrite rules in
exim.conf to map $localpart to $, but it sounds
like the localpart (before the @) is different as well, so you want to
go with the /etc/email-addresses.
|  Stephen Gran                  | "His great aim was to escape from       |
|             | civilization, and, as soon as he had    |
| | money, he went to Southern California." |