Jeff Abrahamson on 19 Sep 2004 12:07:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim return address rewriting

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 05:50:56PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
>   [33 lines, 233 words, 1488 characters]  Top characters: -etaiosn
>
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 12:48:59PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> > I have a Debian stable machine running exim where my user name
> > (jeff@host.cs.drexel.edu) is not my email address
> > (jeffxyz @ cs.drexel.edu).
> >
> > I would like to set up exim to make sure that email from me looks like
> > it's from jeffa@cs.drexel.edu.  (I'd like to do it at the exim level
> > so that the choice of mailer isn't important.)
> >
> > Ideally, I'd like Debian to understand this change so that future
> > installs / updates will get it write.
> >
> > It's not clear to me that this is possible.  Any advice?
> >
> > Tia.
>
> You want the 'rewrite' part of exim's conf file - By default it looks at
> /etc/email-addresses if found.  If you have root on the machine (which I
> guess you do, if you're planning on doing it at the exim level) put an
> entry of the form
>
> jeff: jeffa@cs.drexel.edu

Good idea, but it doesn't do the trick.  Although the docs suggest it
should.  I put in that line and type

    $ mail test | jeff@purple.com

and the mail received here still comes from jeff@host.cs.drexel.edu.

In exim.conf I see this line:

*@host.cs.drexel.edu    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
						{$value}fail} frFs

When I add this rule:

*@cs.drexel.edu    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
						{$value}fail} frFs

then it works.

Drat, that means I have to remember stuff when I upgrade to exim 4
when sarge is released.

But it works, so thanks much!

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20