Kam Salisbury on 21 Sep 2004 09:22:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linksys and DSL

Doug Crompton wrote:

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:12:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com>
To: Phila Linux Users Group <PLUG@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: [PLUG] Linksys and DSL

Continuing with my DSL questions to the list...

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 cable/DSL router which at the moment I am just
using as a 4 port router. In reviewing the docs and internet info it
appears that this is a very versatile box. It also has a Linux engine and
the code is downloadable. There was also an article on it in Linux Journal
a few months ago.

It appears that this router would handle port forwarding. My question is
if I were to use this box connected to (say) Verizon with a STATIC IP, let
it handle PPOE, and connect my Linux server to it with a 192.168.x.x
address, set port forwarding for DNS, Mail, Web, POP3 or any other service
I want to provide to the world - would this work?

Now the question is why would I want to do this. I am not sure. It is an
option. Let the router be the front-end to everything and be the firewall.

The other option of course is to connect the DSL modem directly to the
Linux box, let it do PPOE, Firewall, and 192.168.x.x local routing out a
second ethernet port.

Doug

**************************** * Doug Crompton * * Richboro, PA 18954 * * 215-431-6307 * * * * doug@crompton.com * * wa3dsp@wa3dsp.ampr.org * * http://www.crompton.com * ************************_
Flexibility. I used to run a configuration similiar to your description on Netgear equipment. I wanted more features and to learn Linux firewalls. By using Linux on my PC versus a stand alone device I learned more about rulesets and logs than I knew existed.

Keep your router handy while learning though. You may need to drop it back in place while troubleshooting. Just configure the 4 port dsl router for the same subnet.
--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com