Pat Regan on 22 Sep 2004 18:41:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dedicated loop?

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Doug Crompton wrote:

> And yes the only thing that anyone other than VZ can offer me is IDSL at
> least at a reasonable price. Covad, Speakeasy etc. all offer that. BUT I
> don't think they could really do it. It would require getting a copper
> pair from the Churchville CO which would be 23K feet long and require one
> or two repeaters. I don't think anyone would actually do that here. VZ say
> they can do ADSL but I have not actually tested that assumptiom. To really
> find out I would have to order. Their Bus. DSL static IP is $80/month.
> They offer nothing less with static IP.

You've said you need the static IP to host web/email/etc, right?  Why not
colocate the websites and just get residential DSL?  I just moved to a new
virtual host a few months ago, and have been very happy with the machine.
I looked into every service provider I could find that used User Mode
Linux.  I ended up choosing a provider that uses a similar commercial
product.  They were significantly cheaper than the UML providers, and it
was month to month.  I figured if the performance was bad, I would have
time to try a UML before my current contract expired.

Anyway, I've got my own Debian machine with 64 meg of ram (turned out to
be enough, wasn't sure it would cut it), 3 gig of disk, and 50 gig of
transfer per month for $15/month.  I added an extra IP for 2 dollars to do
my secondary DNS.  I know I should have secondary on another machine, but
if this machine goes down I don't really care if my dns doesn't resolv :p.

I don't know what kind of services you are running, but I am running
apache+mod_perl, postgresql, sshd, pop3/smtp, mailman, and bind.  I
tweaked postgres to not hog so much ram, and I actually ended up with
plenty to spare.

I am currently hosting web and email for 4 domains, and they have all been
quite responsive.  My uptime is approaching 78 days, which was probably
the day I ordered service.

If you are interested, http://www.tektonic.net is the provider I ended up
choosing.

Hope this was helpful, to anyone :)