eric@lucii.org on 28 Sep 2004 19:01:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Online video catalogs

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:34:12PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Aaron Crosman wrote:
>
> >>Could we see the static page?
> >>

> >Sure.  If you really want.
> >http://www.afsc.org/resources/video-film.htm  (The first page people are
> >expected to see)
> >http://www.afsc.org/newengland/bigcat/96to02.htm (The really ugly and
> >LONG catalog)
> >
> >The problem with rolling our own (other then time) is that once we're
> >rebuilding this, it makes sense to me that would should work on
> >improving it's setup. Right now it's a listing of videos on 1 page, and
> >a request form on another.  That request form sends an email to a staff
> >member, and he calls the person to confirm.  Gee wouldn't it be nice if
> >you could click on an item and if you were logged in it would send all
> >your information along as well AND if you weren't new to the system we
> >could skip the confirmation step.
> >

> For one thing, the movies should be listed on a form.  The form data
> would be submitted to the next page which could prompt for the
> borrowers' info.  Then, submitting the second form would combine the
> info and send to where ever you choose.  That's the most basic approach.
>
> Are those movies also available as AVI pre-views or even as complete
> downloads?
>
> I tried http://www.movielink.com/ and it was interesting.  From
> Movielink one can download a movie which is only viewable for a limit
> amount of time.  They do this through the use of DRM.  Quote: "Movielink
> uses Digital Rights Management (DRM) software, which is a set of
> technologies used by content owners and providers to protect copyrights.
> DRM encrypts digital media content and limits access to only those
> people who have acquired the right to play the content."
>
> I'm betting there is a fairly easy way to circumvent DRM.  Feel free to
> tell me how!  Not that I would do that.  No.
>
> BTW, this quote bothers me a little: "Sorry, but in order to enjoy the
> Movielink service you must use Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, which
> supports certain technologies we utilize for downloading movies. Click
  "certain technologies" = DRM.

Actually, this could be a plus.  As vulnerable as IE is, there will
ultimately be a fairly easy way to "hack" the post-DRM data out of it.

Then, ANY browser could display it :-)

Not that I would do that.  No.

--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth