Aaron Crosman on 30 Sep 2004 18:55:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Java/Tomcat/Lucene

>What, were you thinking that because it was java it would be magicly
>cleaner and easier than everything else?  Silly man. Of course it is
just
> as messy as everything else in the IT universe....at least wrt to the
>problems you are seeing which are how it fits into the rest of the
>universe.
>Not to worry. We'll get you through this.

I know this to be true.  But the last time I worked with Java was
several years ago in college, and we the sysadmin had set everything up
so nicely I didn't have to think about it.  I can generally get things
setup right with a little time/effort, but this one seems harder then
most to me.

>There are a number of ways to determine whether tomcat is working.
>First, does "ps axf" indicate that there are java processes running.

yes

>Second, does "netstat -tlp" indicate that you have a java process
listening
>on a tcp port.  The port number will be something like 8080 or 8180,
>depending upon your version of Tomcat.  The port number and just
>about everything else is configured in a server.xml file (/etc/tomcat
?)

No.  There aren't any Java processes listening.

>Different locations for different versions, or are some of those simply

>symlinks?  I've never used yast or Suse, but I would guess the you have
> one installation with 5 more and less specific access names.

I was expecting it to all be symlinks, but they are all directories with
nearly identical condense.  I'm currently assuming that YaST has done a
terrible job cleaning up after updates (although it's generally pretty
good about that).  Is it likely to cause problems if I replace the dirs
with symlinks.

>"Traditional" only works within a given distribution.  I suggest
pointing it
> towards the most current/specific access name (/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4.2_03/

>or /usr/lib/SunJava2-1.4.2) and seeing how far that gets you.

I used /usr/lib/SunJava2-1.4.2 for the JAVA_HOME although I hadn't
noticed j2sdk1.4.2_03 until after that.
I noticed a couple minutes ago that there is a /etc/share/java with only
1 .jar file in it.  Would it make sense to use that as the CLASSPATH and
add classes like Lucene's .jar file there so it would be available to
all users?

Thanks for all this help.  It's a little hard to keep up with the ideas
coming in so quickly, which in my mind is a good thing.
Aaron