cms on 4 Oct 2004 22:56:02 -0000

[PLUG] Home Networking Questions/Solutions

Hello all,

As evidenced from this post, I am not too network savvy. Here goes...

I am not able to get DSL where I live so I opted for the not-so-popular but
fast Comcast cable setup. The cable line comes into my house in the
basement--below ground, concrete foundation--where it connects to my cable
modem. Next to the cable modem is a wired 4-port router (Netgear, I think).
The four ports are all connected to PCs throughout my house, two in the
basement, one on the first floor and one on the third floor. I am using DHCP
to assign IP addresses throughout the house. Trouble is, I want to add another
connection so I can use my laptop and I would like to be able to move through
the house. Enter wireless!

I have nowhere to put a wireless router in my basement. I cannot put it where
the wired router is because that, and the cable modem, are housed in the
electric panel behind a small wooden door (very nice, actually). I thought
about putting a wireless router on the first floor connected to the cable
modem--still in the basement--via cat5 cable but that would mean running cat5
cable back down to the basement for the two PCs down there. I don't think the
PCs in the basement would get a very good wireless signal, although I haven't
tried. I would love to be able to solve this problem without running more
wires.

Can I add a wireless access point, as opposed to a router, on the third floor
and use that for both the PC on the third floor and my laptop? Almost like a
hub? For example:

     BASEMENT                  ________          ___________
---CABLE LINE --- -----> | cable     | ---> | wired router |
                                       | modem |          |      DHCP      |
                                       ----------           ---------------

                                           Basement PC  ____|

                                           Basement PC  ____|

                                           First Floor PC ____|

                                                                        | cat5

                                                      _________|____
Can I put a wireless access point     | wireless access |
here and still get IP addresses        |        point         |
to the second floor PC and the        ------------------
laptop? How?                                              |
                                 Second Floor PC ____|

                                                                   | wireless
                                                Laptop ____|

Pardon my graphics!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris/CMS