Kevin Brosius on 5 Oct 2004 02:15:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Multi-Processor Support

> This is the first machine I've worked with that had multiple processors
> (well, I set one up in college, but we noticed 3 months later we were
> only using 1). I booted with a Knoppix 3.6 CD and it detected all the
> hardware fine, including both drives and both processors. So I switched
> to the SuSE 9.1 installer CD and the first thing it did was complain
> that it could not work with one of the drives. Then I noticed it only
> detected 1 Processor. So now I'm looking for suggestions for suggested
> next steps.

Hmm, complained about the drives or just recommended installing to a
single drive?  I haven't worked with SuSE 9.1, but 9.0 picks a single
drive for the install, by default, and then you need to custom configure
additional drives.  If you really want to erase the secondary drive, you
could erase it's partition table first with the SuSE rescue system on
the install cd or the knoppix boot system.  That will tell you if there
is really a problem partitioning the second drive.

I've got a couple SMP systems here with SuSE 9.0 on them.  Same as Aaron
M, SuSE just comes up as SMP after installed.  I think the installer
runs a single processor kernel, but SuSE ships SMP kernels on the
install media also.  There's really not much to it, just swap the
kernels and you get dual processor support.

--
Kevin