Jeff Abrahamson on 5 Oct 2004 22:07:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] pilot restore conundra

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 02:05:45PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
>   [52 lines, 318 words, 1943 characters]  Top characters: etaornis
>
> Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>
> >I am restoring my pilot data to a new palm device (a different model
> >Palm OS device).  What I expect is that I should do a restore, then a
> >sync.  I am using jpilot, which is also what backed up the previous
> >device.
> >
> >When I do this, I see a difference of some 700 odd records (lost)
> >between the old device and the current.
> >
> Are you comparing numbers immediately after the restore, or after
> syncing?  That is, are the records not being restored, or are they being
> deleted by the sync?

Not clear, I didn't think to count before the sync.  I did the restore
+ sync, then counted.

> I assume that you have (1) at least as much memory as you had in the old
> device, and that the OS version is the same or newer.  Am I right?

Correct.

> Were the missing records marked "Private" on the old unit?  Are you
> using the same device name, and the same password for Private records?
> If Palm OS doesn't like the way you deleted or changed a password and
> device ID, it will delete Private records.

These things don't seem to have been at issue.

In the end, I fiddled and eventually some combination of restore and
sync (with occasional restore via tar of the ~/.jpilot/ directory) got
it to where it was supposed to be.

Very odd.  I'm glad I maintain lots of backups.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20