Art Alexion on 5 Oct 2004 18:06:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] pilot restore conundra

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

I am restoring my pilot data to a new palm device (a different model
Palm OS device).  What I expect is that I should do a restore, then a
sync.  I am using jpilot, which is also what backed up the previous
device.

When I do this, I see a difference of some 700 odd records (lost)
between the old device and the current.

Are you comparing numbers immediately after the restore, or after syncing? That is, are the records not being restored, or are they being deleted by the sync?

I assume that you have (1) at least as much memory as you had in the old device, and that the OS version is the same or newer. Am I right?

Were the missing records marked "Private" on the old unit? Are you using the same device name, and the same password for Private records? If Palm OS doesn't like the way you deleted or changed a password and device ID, it will delete Private records.

Any suggestions what might be going on or what to do?

If the above don't work, I suggest installing the Palm emulator (POSE) on your desktop and restoring to POSE. Make sure you are using the same ROM image as your old unit. Are the records there? If so, change POSE to use the ROM image of your new unit, and restore again. Are the records there now? If so, there may be something wrong with the new unit.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c