Bob Mader on 6 Oct 2004 14:59:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Live on CD

> I'm trying to put together a small collection of bootable Linux "live"
> CDs.  Please share your favorites with us.
> I have a link to more live distros than I thought existed!  But, I'd
> like to know what people are really using.  Here's the link:
> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

I've mostly worked with Knoppix and have even done my own customized
Knoppix CD's. Knoppix has always worked great for me.

Recently, I had the opportunity to try www.linux-live.org. It's not a live
CD per se, but purports to be able to make a live CD from a running system
of any distro. I tried it with a RHEL 3.0 box, but it broke because it
needed a newer version of the tmpfs driver (size=n% option) than what was
in their kernel.

Also of interest is Red Hat's Stateless Linux project, which includes a
function for making a live CD from a running system. I haven't tried this
one myself, but Jason Brooks did a nice article on it in the October 4
issue of eWeek. He tested it on Fedora Core 3 Test 2.

-Bob Mader