Paul on 10 Oct 2004 00:03:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Large Wireless Network on the Cheap

James Kelly wrote:

eric@lucii.org wrote:
| So you're telling me that if I run a wireless access point rather than
| a wireless router then even MAC address authorization won't protect me.
| What is there then?  WAP (or WEP or whatever that encryption stuff is?)

It won't protect you, it would probably be worth throwing on, but I
wouldn't count on it.  It will keep your neighbors from connecting
(assuming you have neighbors like mine :) ).  But if you really want
security, consider setting up a VPN tunnel that uses stronger encryption.

I would say that WEP, if you change your keys occasionally, should be good enough. Just don't allow anyone without the key to use your network. That way the MACs won't matter as much.

A VPN itself won't prevent people from connecting to your network, unless you only allow non-VPN connections for the purpose of joining the VPN.