Paul on 28 Oct 2004 18:34:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] A lesson for us all?

W. Chris Shank wrote:

Our sucesses with OpenOffice is about 30%. We've found that if we throw it users who know MS Office and expect them to be just as proficient - it fails miserably every time. What has been successful is easing them into it with a few hours of training and a support number to call when they need additional help. The problem is that by the time the training costs are factored in, OpenOffice is nearly as expensive as MS Office. So the decision makers have to clearly understand the long-term cost advantage. If they look at the short-term only - then we don't even push OpenOffice. If they want to blow a few grand on MS Office - I let em.

What happens to productivity when a new person joins the Company? The current employees are trained to use OOo, but the new employee is most likely to only know MS Office. How much loss of productivity is there each time a new employee must be (re)trained?