ChrisB. on 1 Nov 2004 17:17:05 -0000

RE: [PLUG] ethernet wiring in walls

This may be a good opportunity to ask anyone out there that has used one of
these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/6d55/ that is the
"Netgear Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridge" supposedly you can use your own
electrical circuits to pass Ethernet traffic. I have never used one but I am
planning a move during the summer months and was curious if anyone has any
good/bad things to say?

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Abrahamson
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 12:08 PM
To: PLUG
Subject: [PLUG] ethernet wiring in walls

Some in-wall wiring that used to work in my house no longer works.
I've been mixing and matching equipment and it's pretty clear the
cables and hubs are ok, but I've tried a couple of different in wall
cables without success.  I'm starting to suspect a mouse or something
passed by a wire bundle.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to do next.  One option is to
figure out what's going on in the walls.  It'd be cool to have a tool
that just did this, but I don't even know what such a tool is called.
Suggestions?

The other possibility is to go wireless, although I'd want to be able
to restrict by MAC and encrypt and such to feel comfortable.  It looks
like I could buy two linksys wireless routers and connect the two main
parts of my house where non-laptops are, although there's a third area
where I'd like to have a machine (a jukebox / ogg-server).  Is there
such a thing as a wireless hub?  I don't need heavy routing
capabilities and in some cases I do need to see individual IP's in
both directions.

Any thoughts on the most economical way to do this?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20