Ron Mansolino on 1 Nov 2004 18:39:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ethernet wiring in walls

Jeff Abrahamson said...

> Some in-wall wiring that used to work in my house no longer works.
> I've been mixing and matching equipment and it's pretty clear the
> cables and hubs are ok, but I've tried a couple of different in wall
> cables without success.  I'm starting to suspect a mouse or something
> passed by a wire bundle.
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to do next.  One option is to
> figure out what's going on in the walls.  It'd be cool to have a tool
> that just did this, but I don't even know what such a tool is called.
> Suggestions?

Something like this?

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--RLLCS1000
(google: ethernet cable oscillator continuity)

I know i've seen similar gadgets, but I'm not sure how/where you would
find a continuity break in an in-wall cable.

Usually, the parts subject to mechanical/physical wear and tear are the
first to go, I'd take a close look at the jacks and where the wires punch
down or are crimped/connect.

It's also handy to have a cable stub or two that you can use for loopbacks
and continuity tests, I think for ethernet you want to connect pins 1 to 3
and 2 to 6 (with that little tang thing facing down)