eric@lucii.org on 2 Nov 2004 03:55:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ethernet wiring in walls

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 11:38:59AM -0500, Stewart B Lone wrote:
> Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> >Some in-wall wiring that used to work in my house no longer works.
> >I've been mixing and matching equipment and it's pretty clear the
> >cables and hubs are ok, but I've tried a couple of different in wall
> >cables without success.  I'm starting to suspect a mouse or something
> >passed by a wire bundle.
> >
> >Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to do next.  One option is to
> >figure out what's going on in the walls.  It'd be cool to have a tool
> >that just did this, but I don't even know what such a tool is called.
> >Suggestions?
> >
> >The other possibility is to go wireless, although I'd want to be able
> >to restrict by MAC and encrypt and such to feel comfortable.  It looks
> >like I could buy two linksys wireless routers and connect the two main
> >parts of my house where non-laptops are, although there's a third area
> >where I'd like to have a machine (a jukebox / ogg-server).  Is there
> >such a thing as a wireless hub?  I don't need heavy routing
> >capabilities and in some cases I do need to see individual IP's in
> >both directions.
> >
> >Any thoughts on the most economical way to do this?
> >
> There are such devices. They insert an RF signal on to the line and
> measure the standing wave return time which I believe is a function of
> the distance of the reflection. Sorry, I`v been away from such things
> for a long time and dont know where to get one. If you knew a Verizon
> guy,or you had access to an o-scope -------------------------
>
> Stewart Lone

It's called a "Time-Domain Reflectometer" or TDR for short.  I believe
it would be overkill for this application as they are quite expensive.
I knew a guy who worked for a company that made and deployed them.  He
said the bigger ones could send a pulse so powerful down the line that
it would literally explode the wires when it got to the break.

Cool :-P  Never saw a demo tho'

Eric

#   Eric Lucas