Paul on 1 Nov 2004 20:34:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ethernet wiring in walls

Eugene Smiley wrote:

I have a handy tool that I picked up at Home Depot that tests cables
(IDEAL LinkMaster, #62-200)
(http://www.goodmart.com/products/82452.htm... Jeesh, I sure don't
recall having spent $90 on these two little boxes), however it has
RJ45 on each box. Since I am getting ready to do a "wired" install
myself, I've thought about how I'd test my wiring job.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much unless it also contains a tone generator and probe. That's really overkill. Just wire carefully, do a quick and dirty test, and you're done. 99% of the the time your wiring should come out right.