Will Dyson on 5 Nov 2004 17:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] CD to boot, ATA card

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 19:08 -0500, Paul wrote:
> So...do any PCI ATA controller cards support CD-ROM booting?  The
> problem is that, even though it's possible to boot from the mobo
> controller, data transfers between the CD-ROM and HDD fail.  I want to
> totally by-pass the onboard controller.

I've had problems trying to use an ATAPI device on Promise controllers
(dma timeouts, general failure to work). But I was told this was a
problem specific to the Promise chip, so I can only advise you to try a
different brand if you need to attach an optical drive (my promise
controller works well for my harddrives, however).