Ron Mansolino on 5 Nov 2004 18:33:02 -0000

[PLUG] Help me decide...

ok, I think I have enough spare parts to put together a machine to
experiment with; I need to decide between installing Suse from the
Novell sampler (and which version?) or RH FC2. I can't d/l anything
else (dialup) so I need to choose among these. This will probably
become my gateway/firewall/browser as well, once I ace this.

What I'm specifically looking for is clue with regard to window
managers and package management. (I haven't had a lot of luck with
FreeBSD and X, and the Mandrake box I built for someone seemed kinda
gimmicky). Eveything else I've done for people has been CLI-only.

What I need is experience (and keywords) for my resume, I see RedHat
mentioned by name more often than Suse, but the Novell extras are a
big attraction (it's been a while since I was a Novell admin). What
does a "typical" corporate install consist of (what am I likely to
be asked to support?)

thanks
--
Ron Mansolino   RMsolino@netaxs.com   http://www.netaxs.com/~rmsolino/