Paul on 5 Nov 2004 18:42:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Help me decide...

Ron Mansolino wrote:

ok, I think I have enough spare parts to put together a machine to experiment with; I need to decide between installing Suse from the Novell sampler (and which version?) or RH FC2. I can't d/l anything
else (dialup) so I need to choose among these. This will probably become my gateway/firewall/browser as well, once I ace this.

SuSE requires a DVD drive or an FTP server and a boot image.

If you want other distros you could show up at a meeting. PLUG in PA, or CHLUG in NJ. CHLUG asks for a $1 or so donation, but it's not required. I don't know about PLUG.

It's also possible to buy them from ebay or have someone mail you a copy. Or you could ask a friend with "broadband" to grab a copy. The point is, it's also possible to get a distro very inexpensively.

SuSE 9.1 failed to install for me.  It failed before it got started really.

I might suggest going with FC2 because it's completely free.

What I need is experience (and keywords) for my resume, I see RedHat
mentioned by name more often than Suse, but the Novell extras are a big attraction (it's been a while since I was a Novell admin). What does a "typical" corporate install consist of (what am I likely to be asked to support?)

If you're good at CLI, then you should be able to handle most distros. They differ more at the GUI end. That's all I can say.