Paul on 5 Nov 2004 18:34:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] CD to boot, ATA card

Michael C. Toren wrote:

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 07:08:08PM -0500, Paul wrote:

So...do any PCI ATA controller cards support CD-ROM booting?

This should be a function of your BIOS, not the PCI card.

The BIOS on the mobo must be set to "SCSI" in order to boot from the controller card. So far, only booting from the hard drive works. The card has it's own BIOS, but I guess it's not a great one.

The problem is that, even though it's possible to boot from the mobo
controller, data transfers between the CD-ROM and HDD fail. I want to
totally by-pass the onboard controller.

That shouldn't be the case. Can you be more specific about the error message you're seeing?

The PC will boot from the CD-ROM drive, using the mobo's controller. For example, Knoppix STD boots well and runs fine. However, if I try to copy Knoppix, or anything requiring a lot of data transfer, error messages appear and the transfer fails. (I'm pretty sure that the hard drive itself runs OK, but maybe I should install Knoppix using another PC, then more the drive to the bad PC as a test.)