Paul L. Snyder on 11 Nov 2004 16:38:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ogg support

Quoting Paul <gyoza@comcast.net>:

> What does it take to get the following OSes, after a fresh install, to
> play ogg audio files?  OS X, WinXP, and a typical Linux distro.

?  Install an audio player for your OS that supports the OGG Vorbis audio
format, if one isn't there already.  (a) Select audio player.  (b) Run
installer / install package.

If you've just installed a desktop Linux system, you probably have one
there already.  For example XMMS supports OGG out-of-the-box, and most
other general-purpose Linux-based audio players will do the same.

If you've just installed Windows you can either install a codec for
Windows Media Player (such as http://tobias.everwicked.com/oggds.htm)
or you can install a decent audio application (e.g., Foobar2000,
http://www.foobar2000.org/).  Either should be as simple as
downloading and running the installer.

I don't have an OS X box, but there is an installable OGG codec for
iTunes should one not be included by default.

HTH,
pls