Paul on 11 Nov 2004 20:27:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ogg support

Paul L. Snyder wrote:

Quoting Paul <gyoza@comcast.net>:

What does it take to get the following OSes, after a fresh install, to play ogg audio files? OS X, WinXP, and a typical Linux distro.

If you've just installed Windows you can either install a codec for
Windows Media Player (such as http://tobias.everwicked.com/oggds.htm)

I don't have an OS X box, but there is an installable OGG codec for
iTunes should one not be included by default.

So, we're good with Linux.

I should have included my reason for asking the question in the first place. I was asked which audio format should be used for distribution on a Web site. I said OGG. Then the question became, Will the non-technical people trying to listen to the OGGs be able to do what it takes, if anything, to listen to them?

I know about installing CODECs. But, like you, I don't own an OS X box. Also, my WinXP and Linux systems have been able to play OGGs for so long, I'm not sure exactly what I installed to get them to work. (Well, I know I installed a CODEC for WinXP, but I don't remember the exact file that I used.) I'm just looking for current info, especially for the Mac.

It's possible that some users will have older Mac OS and Windows versions. I'm thinking that mp3 is more widely supported out of the box, or that many people have already enabled their systems to play mp3's already. But, I still want to see the ogg format used in this case.