Geoff Rivell on 11 Nov 2004 22:36:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ogg support

On Thursday 11 November 2004 03:25 pm, Paul wrote:

> I know about installing CODECs.  But, like you, I don't own an OS X
> box.  Also, my WinXP and Linux systems have been able to play OGGs for
> so long, I'm not sure exactly what I installed to get them to work.
> (Well, I know I installed a CODEC for WinXP, but I don't remember the
> exact file that I used.)  I'm just looking for current info, especially
> for the Mac.

Plenty of OGG support on OS X.  And of course ogg support for Linux on PPC :)
I'm actually extremely impressed with how well supported Linux/PPC is.
All my media plays.  Flash is as easy as using the opensource flash player
from Debian.  Kaffeine works well with DivX, etc.

I have to set up MacOnLinux so I can use MacOSX some more.  I have only messed
with it for about an hour... and I've had this system for a month or so.  OS
X is nice.  I like how user friendly it is.  And has unix underneath.  I ran
XFree86/Gimp (even though there is a MacGimp) just to test it out hehe.
Pretty neat.  KDE is almost fully ported over.  I'm guessing Gnome is (but
never looked).

That Dockbar they use is kind of neat.  The icons themselves tell you if the
app is loaded, pops up options, etc.  I'd like to see KDE's kicker take that
approach a little.

> It's possible that some users will have older Mac OS and Windows
> versions.  I'm thinking that mp3 is more widely supported out of the
> box, or that many people have already enabled their systems to play
> mp3's already.  But, I still want to see the ogg format used in this case.

I do a FLAC rip of my cd's.  Then I use a script to go through all my Flac's
and make mp3's and ogg's.  That way everything is portable to my devices.

I prefer flac :)  But until mp3 players get 200 gb hd's, I'll go ogg where
supported.  mp3 where not.

p.s.  Hope I didn't go off topic too much.  Just dead tired rambling.