William H. Magill on 22 Nov 2004 20:14:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Philadelphia Wireless Project

On 22 Nov, 2004, at 10:42, James Kelly wrote:
George Gallen wrote:
| I really like the idea, but the city has a lot of other issues to
| deal with first. You can't be laying off Police and Firefighters and
| then instituting a wireless plan like this....doesn't make sense.

Well that is a completely seperate budgetary issue.

No its not.

While the "installation" may come from the Capital Budget (which is in itself a separate con-job), the City is estimating the ongoing operating costs of the infrastructure at "no more than" $1.5 million a year! ... a ridiculously low number for what the city is proposing.

$1.5 million a year won't even come close to providing enough money over a 15 year period to replace the equipment installed today.

It is bad enough that the City is (currently) proposing ONLY an 802.11B network -- not G nor Wi-MaX; but current plans (such as they are at the moment) have no concept of "upgrade" built in to them.

I was one of the 25 or so people who attended "The Committee's" hearing in City Council Chambers the other week, and it is quite amazing how little knowledge anybody associated with this project has.

The current timeline stipulates that a proposal -- a business plan (which somebody at Temple is helping The Committee draft -- is to be presented to the Mayor sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks (I forget the exact date). After that an RFP is to be put out in early January.

One of the reasons this "concern" about Verizon's bill is fascinating is because "The Committee" has stated that Construction will begin in June and be completed by September - 2005!!! Well within the year for "grandfathering" the system under the bill.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org