Art Alexion on 22 Nov 2004 23:10:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Philadelphia Wireless Project

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 15:24 -0500, George Gallen wrote:
> has anyone determined if citywide usage of the wifi would
> have adverse effects on non wifi products, such as wireless phones
> and garage door openers or anything else in that range?
>
> Or will it affect home wireless networks as well, how hard will it
> be for 20 people to run a wireless network in their homes, as well
> as having the boxes outside all competeing for frequencies?
>
> I'd be really curious about this one....
>
> If cellular phones in certain areas are affecting the EMS radio
> system, would this frequency usage have ANY effect on that system, or
> their backup system, which uses a lower frequency system?

I think the answer to this is that it is inevitable that the city will
eventually have proprietary wireless networks in most places in the
eventual and foreseeable future anyway, and it will be easier to tackle
these issues with a network using a single frequency than with disparate
and differing networks, each causing their own differing problem -- each
one smaller, but cumulatively a bigger problem.

Art