sean finney on 4 Dec 2004 01:50:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] new @ debian/apt maintenance

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 07:27:42PM -0500, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> I do this as well, however one slight change is that afterwards I symlink
> the binaries from /usr/local/bin and the man pages from /usr/local/man,
> etc, so that no modifications to the $PATH are necessary.

what i typically do is:

apt-get install stow
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/programname-version
make
make install
cd /usr/local/stow
stow programname-version

for those not familiar with stow, it's like a depot that doesn't suck.
for those not familiar with either of these, it takes everything in
/usr/local/stow/foo/bin and symlinks it to /usr/local/bin for you,
etc, etc.  makes managing compiled from source software super easy.

	sean