Art Alexion on 4 Dec 2004 14:52:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] new @ debian/apt maintenance

Stephen Gran wrote:

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:54:22PM -0500, Art Alexion said:

Am starting to use and like Debian via Ubuntu. As OOo has a ton of bug fixes over the Ubuntu Warty standard 1.2, I wanted to upgrade, but there are no plans to "apt-ify" beyond 1.1.2 for the Warty release. I've been warned about updating apt installed software via source or .bin scripts. I know there are a number of Debian users on this list. What are your thoughts.

(With Red Hat I made extensive use of source RPMs and checkinstall to keep the RPM database current while freeing myself from the distro provided versions. Is there a similar approach with Debian based systems?)

The way I generally try a new version is to get the new source from the
distributor, and 'apt-get source' the old version. It may just be
possible to apply the debian patch (diff.gz) to the new version, edit
debian/changelog to set the correct new version, and debian/rules binary
to build it. A quick glance shows debian patches all over the place for
this package, so it may not be trivial.

Sound very non-trivial if it needs to be done often and a lot of places for potential errors.

The easiest solution here, as Sean has pointed out, is probably just to
remove the Ubuntu version, and install the new one in /usr/local.
Presumably the install script allows you to set DESTDIR, although I have
not checked.

Yes, it does, and recommends /opt.

However, it looks like Ubuntu puts most of it in /usr/lib/openoffice with gnome and other system hooks all over the place, presumably pointing to the /usr/lib location. It looks like the program itself is divided into about 6 .deb entries: the program, the libraries, the I10n.en and the hyphenation.en packages. The other installed .deb package is Ubuntu specific. The description reads:

   *Debian specific parts of OpenOffice.org*
   This is part of the packaging of OpenOffice.org for Debian.

   This package contains extra files supplied by Debian that are not
   part of the
   upstream source:

    - man pages
    - README.Debian and TODO
    - Debian menu files
    - MIME types for mail handling
    - startup and configuration script (/usr/bin/openoffice)

Do you think it would be safe to remove all of the .deb packages except the foregoing, and then install to /usr/lib/openoffice from the script?

Or,

To satisfy dependencies, should I just remove the files manually so that apt thinks they are still there?

Or

Should I just install the update *over* the old version?

Or

Is this dangerous, and I should just forget it?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c