Art Alexion on 4 Dec 2004 14:58:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] new @ debian/apt maintenance

sean finney wrote:

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 07:27:42PM -0500, Michael C. Toren wrote:

I do this as well, however one slight change is that afterwards I symlink
the binaries from /usr/local/bin and the man pages from /usr/local/man,
etc, so that no modifications to the $PATH are necessary.

what i typically do is:

apt-get install stow
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/programname-version
make
make install
cd /usr/local/stow
stow programname-version

for those not familiar with stow, it's like a depot that doesn't suck.
for those not familiar with either of these, it takes everything in
/usr/local/stow/foo/bin and symlinks it to /usr/local/bin for you,
etc, etc. makes managing compiled from source software super easy.

OK, maybe I shouldn't give up.

I have used the prefix parameter with previous OOo installs, and stow, looks good but it may break the sole Debian specific (or as they put it "extra files supplied by Debian that are not part of the
upstream source").

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c