David Coulson on 6 Dec 2004 15:46:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] routing question....

Doug Crompton wrote:

OK, yes, I would like to take a look at it. From what I saw it is rather
more complicated than I had thought. I guess I will just have to put up
with some down time as I do my own domain serving and the time delays in
setting up a new nameserver IP and then implementing it can take days. I
was just trying to get around that.

Why not get someone to secondary the domain well in advance of the outage, or set it up on zoneedit.com for free? Having an NS and possibly backup MX well away from your own network is always a good idea anyway.

You should be able to add a name server to domain in less than an hour, as the com/net servers update far more quickly. You would have to turn down the TTL on the domain so old results are not cached upstream for long, but it's a reasonably practical solution.

David