Doug Crompton on 6 Dec 2004 16:06:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] routing question....

Dave,

  Very true. I do have two secondaries and the real delay seems to be in
setting up the name to IP for the server. GoDaddy claims 24-48 hours. This
is OK because I just left ns2.crompton.com set to the old IP and added ns1
at the new one. Once that is in place all I have to do is change my
nameserver preferences - delete ns2 and add ns1 - and it should go in a
few hours.

BTW - I have only used in the far past, Verisign, and that is certainly no
comparison but GoDaddy is tops in my book. I have 13 domains there and
never had a problem. 24/7 tech support also.

Doug

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, David Coulson wrote:

> Why not get someone to secondary the domain well in advance of the
> outage, or set it up on zoneedit.com for free? Having an NS and possibly
> backup MX well away from your own network is always a good idea anyway.
>
> You should be able to add a name server to domain in less than an hour,
> as the com/net servers update far more quickly. You would have to turn
> down the TTL on the domain so old results are not cached upstream for
> long, but it's a reasonably practical solution.
>
> David

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *