Doug Crompton on 8 Dec 2004 06:53:04 -0000

[PLUG] Re: DSL she no go...

Well the thread should now be "DSL she goes" !!

An update on DSL here.... Modem arrived last Friday. Installed and up in
one hour. Transistion from PPP to DSL was a little rough but only because
it had been 10 years since I had changed my nameserver setup and I failed
to do the prior steps that would have made it faster. So it took 3 or 4
days to process all the steps and for it to propagate.

It is now 100% onto DSL. Linksys BEFRS41 as the front-end. Local NAT LAN
on inside. Static LAN IP assignment. Port forwarding to Linux server box.

I am getting consistent 200Kbyte download rates from a MS HD video site. I
guess this translates to about 2 Mbits.

The outside sees my current (1) static IP address from the linksys and it
sure seems like a fairly tight front-end. It sure is easy to use unlike
Linux FW. Call it FW for dummies I guess.

I do have five other IP's sitting there for the taking. I would like to
put another Ham radio box online outside the NAT FW. I am not sure how I
would do this in the current setup though. I don't think the Linksys can
be made to pass the IP's unless NAT is turned off, which would defeat my
reason for having it there. Can you put a switch ahead of the GW/router,
between it and the DSL modem, and hang another system (Linux or GW/router)
off another port of the switch? It would just MAC/DHCP for it's IP like
the Linksys does now. Like:

     -------------
     -------------            |           |          | DHCP/MAC   | Linux
                              |           |           ------------  Server