Stephen Gran on 8 Dec 2004 05:19:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] WLAN

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:51:51PM -0500, Jarrod Lewis said:
> I'm a complete and utter newbie to linux but I really want to learn about it
> and support it but, right now it's killing me. I have been trying to get my
> wireless card going dwl 520 (dlink) lspci shows the card and I can see it in
> the network applet under the hardware tab. I just can't get it going. I was
> told I need to enable it in the kernel but all this info I have read on this
> is vague at best. I was also told I needed the drivers for it. Of course I
> have the Windows drivers for it and I could use ndiswrapper bu the info on
> that is damn near alien to me. So either I'm a complete moron or this is so
> much beyond me. Any suggestions?

Welcome to linux.  It can be a rocky road at first, but it's worth the
switch, belive me.

In order to help you out, we'll need a little more information than
you've given us so far.

lspci, as you've already found, is useful to help figure out what the
kernel thinks of the card.  The relevant output from lspci would be
helpful.

lsmod tells you what kernel modules (the linux cognate of device
drivers) are loaded.  The output of lsmod will let us know if you have a
driver loaded for it.

dmesg will tell you all of the messages that the kernel has output since
bootup, so it will hopefully give some relevant information about your
card.  This command produces a fair amount of output, (as do the
others), so you may want to output all of this to a file, edit the file,
and then attach that to your email.

So:
lspci > output
lsmod >> output
dmesg >> output

(The single > will redirect output to the file output. The double >
means append to that, rather than overwrite).

It may very well be that the kernel side of things is already set up,
but before we start debugging network issues, I'd rather check the
basics.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | BOFH excuse #203:  Write-only-memory    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | subsystem too slow for this machine.    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Contact your local dealer.              |