Paul on 8 Dec 2004 12:44:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] WLAN

Jarrod Lewis wrote:

I'm a complete and utter newbie to linux but I really want to learn about it
and support it but, right now it's killing me. I have been trying to get my
wireless card going dwl 520 (dlink) lspci shows the card and I can see it in
the network applet under the hardware tab. I just can't get it going. I was
told I need to enable it in the kernel but all this info I have read on this
is vague at best. I was also told I needed the drivers for it. Of course I
have the Windows drivers for it and I could use ndiswrapper bu the info on
that is damn near alien to me. So either I'm a complete moron or this is so
much beyond me. Any suggestions?

I have the same card. I currently use the HostAP driver. I think I used to use the WLAN-NG driver. The driver you choose depends on what you want to do with the card. I use HostAP so that my card will function as an access point. It's possible that the Orinoco driver will work, too.

The revision of the card is important. Some higher revision require extra work; something to do with not having complete built-in firmware.

Check this out: http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinuxDrivers