Eric Hidle on 9 Dec 2004 17:43:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Fiber in PA

There are a few conditions that make asymmetric linespeeds not only
feasible, but appropriate.

First, traffic patterns from home users typically include far more
downstream than upstream traffic. Upstream traffic is usually just their PC
sending web requests and the like. However, people do download lots of
stuff, so the higher downstream speed is desirable.

Second, there are equipment limitations that get in the way of high-speed
upstream. At the DSLAM, you have a situation where there is a controlled
environment. Therefore, your equipment can burn more power and still
survive. At home, you have a little plastic box with no fans, so you are
severely limited in the amount of power you can dissipate in there. This
means that the DSLAM is capable of higher transmit power than the DSL Modem
and can therefore transmit a higher datarate while still maintaining signal
integrity at the receiver. The modem, with a lower transmitter power, has to
transmit data slower in order to maintain a S/N ratio sufficient to avoid
Inter-Symbol Interference.

The problem that is growing with DSL is that people are uploading more and
more - sending music files, home movies, and pictures to family, and all
kinda other stuff that requires more upstream. Verizon, I believe, is
offering a cheap fiber access solution that has 15Mbps downstream and 2Mbps
upstream, basically tripling peoples' upstream rates. I just wish I could
get it where I am! :)