Paul on 14 Dec 2004 14:07:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VOip

Art Clemons wrote:

Anyone using commercial VOip? I was looking at the AT&T site. They claim
they need 90Kb Up/down BW/line/call. That really sounds excessive. What is
this super high fidelity phone connections! I would think they could get
by with a lot less then that even with overhead. Given a 3K voice channel
you should be able to sample at 12-16K, Add overhead and control.. so we
double that... 32K ... what the heck is the rest? I think verizon breaks a
T1 down into 23 voice channels / 1 control, each 48K. That always seemed
like a waste of BW to me.

Actually you probably do need that much bandwidth for some calls and to help prevent what I call the "echo chamber" effect. Remember, telephone calls are really two sets of audio signals, one from you and one from the individual you're talking to. If you limit the audio to let's say 3Khz like phones used to, the audio often doesn't sound right

Now I get it. (A little sleep helps.) Vonage let's you set your bandwidth usage from 30Kbps ("normal" quality) to 50Kbps ("high" quality) to 90Kbps ("highest" quality). Mine is set to 90Kbps with no noticeable network slowdown and rarely some echo.

There are cheaper services like Lingo, Packet8 and Vonage. The only downside is that to really use them throughout a house, you need wireless phones with more than one phone able to access the same service. It's not fun to be let's say on the 2nd floor and the only phone connected is on the first. One hint though, get 5.8Ghz phones if you do this. Also Verizon is offering VOIP too over broadband in case you're not sick of them enough to avoid any additional services from Verizon.

Do *NOT* try Lingo.  Trust me.

You are a little off about the cordless phone issue, assuming you are running a cable modem or are willing to use the second pair of wires in your two-pair phone line. First options: If you loop your phone line back at the demark, then every phone in the house would have access to the VoIP box. Second option: Use one pair of wires for DSL and the other for VoIP.