Art Clemons on 14 Dec 2004 16:46:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VOip

>You are a little off about the cordless phone issue, assuming you are
>running a cable modem or are willing to use the second pair of wires in
>your two-pair phone line. First options: If you loop your phone line
>back at the demark, then every phone in the house would have access to
>the VoIP box.  Second option: Use one pair of wires for DSL and the
>other for VoIP.

Some of the VOIP connection boxes only support the equivalent of 1 REN, meaning only one phone can ring. One Vonage setup I tried to play with, went beserk when the cord leading to it was longer than 10 feet. The usual techniques like ferrite cores didn't help. Wireless phone it was.

I'm not normally an advocate of wireless phones, they have privacy issues and interference issues but for some usages they're the best choice.