Jeff McAdams on 14 Dec 2004 15:35:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VOip

Doug Crompton wrote:
> I think the Speakeasy service is rather expensive compared to DCA or even
> Verizon. If memory servers me right Speakeasy is up around $80 to $100 for
> static. I never compared dynamic.

Yeah, I haven't actually run the numbers, so I don't know what's going
to end up cheaper (and the market here in Louisville is different in any
case...you all gripe about Verizon up there, but they're better than
BellSouth down here...believe me!)  My friend is going with
6Mbps/768kbps line with 8 static IP's, so he's not going for least
expensive.  :)

> My thought was to have a minimum Verizon analog service, no long distance,
> dial-tone line, with DSL, and VOip service wired to all the phones in the
> house and one phone somewhere hardwired to the analog service for
> emergencies but actually a cell phone could take over that duty or for
> that matter the whole mess and eliminate the VOip all together!

Then, with an asterisk box, you can even make use of the minimal POTS
service as well as a local "trunk".  ;)

> I have shielded cat5 from the dmarc to an inside junction box where I have
> one filter installed that supplies the entire analog phone house. The DSL
> jack is at that point, before the filter of course. Although for most
> people this might be hard to do it is the best way since the upper
> bandwidth DSL sees a clean termination rather than stubs all over the
> place.

Yeah, good setup.  FWIW, the "twisted pair" nature of the cat 5 doesn't
really help for DSL.  Though its probably worth it to run the cat 5
cable just for the better quality of cable that it is.  The pair
twisting only helps when you're dealing with a balanced signal, which
DSL is not, but since most wiring in houses is utter crap anyway, at
least with the cat 5 cable you know you have a good cable for it to run on.

> After I installed it I had some hum on the analog line and I discovered
> that the filter was close to an electrical line and simply changing it's
> position relative to the line eliminated the hum.

Yup...electrical lines...nice 60hz hum, there.  :)

Oh, and fluorescent lights are murder on DSL signals.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."