Doug Crompton on 14 Dec 2004 15:03:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VOip

I think the Speakeasy service is rather expensive compared to DCA or even
Verizon. If memory servers me right Speakeasy is up around $80 to $100 for
static. I never compared dynamic.

My thought was to have a minimum Verizon analog service, no long distance,
dial-tone line, with DSL, and VOip service wired to all the phones in the
house and one phone somewhere hardwired to the analog service for
emergencies but actually a cell phone could take over that duty or for
that matter the whole mess and eliminate the VOip all together!

I have shielded cat5 from the dmarc to an inside junction box where I have
one filter installed that supplies the entire analog phone house. The DSL
jack is at that point, before the filter of course. Although for most
people this might be hard to do it is the best way since the upper
bandwidth DSL sees a clean termination rather than stubs all over the
place.

After I installed it I had some hum on the analog line and I discovered
that the filter was close to an electrical line and simply changing it's
position relative to the line eliminated the hum.

Doug

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Jeff McAdams wrote:

> A friend of mine here in Louisville, KY (my brother is in Philly, and I
> have visited, but I live in Louisville) is in the process of switching
> his DSL service to speakeasy, which offers "naked" DSL (no POTS
> service), and he's going to port his land-line number to Vonage (his job
> is currently to do a VoIP roll-out at the University of Louisville, so
> he's very comfortable with the technology).  So, you might want to check
> with Speakeasy if they offer service up there.
> --
> Jeff McAdams
> "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
> little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
>                                        -- Benjamin Franklin

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *