William H. Magill on 16 Dec 2004 06:12:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VOip

On 14 Dec, 2004, at 10:03, Doug Crompton wrote:
My thought was to have a minimum Verizon analog service, no long distance,
dial-tone line, with DSL, and VOip service wired to all the phones in the
house and one phone somewhere hardwired to the analog service for
emergencies but actually a cell phone could take over that duty or for
that matter the whole mess and eliminate the VOip all together!

The base service is $14.53 (or close to that) per month. I think it is technically tariffed as "life line" service.

You then get your ISP to provide the DSL service order.

You get a $14.53 bill from Verizon each month and a separate bill from your ISP for the DSL service.

I have shielded cat5 from the dmarc to an inside junction box where I have
one filter installed that supplies the entire analog phone house. The DSL
jack is at that point, before the filter of course. Although for most
people this might be hard to do it is the best way since the upper
bandwidth DSL sees a clean termination rather than stubs all over the
place.

At one time, you could get the "whole house splitter" from Bell Atlantic (that's how long ago I got mine). But I don't know if in this day of "free, self-installs" you can still talk them into sending you one -- "for free." That splitter actually fits inside the demark, and you just run separate lines from there, one for the DSL and one for Voice.

Just be aware that most Verizon techs have never seen one and if you have line troubles, you have to explain it to them! Also convincing dial-a-prayer that you have a working DSL line but no dial-tone, so therefore the problem has to be at the CO can be fun! They are insistent on "rolling a truck." ... just went through that problem with my setup.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a # XP1000 [Alpha EV6] magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com