mdbarlow on 28 Dec 2004 19:32:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] music station

I am in the same quandry, however, I do have something in the same room.

I have looked at the following options

Cheapie dvd player that reads mp3, (not ogg friendly) (~$40 at walmart)

Someone has a wireless media center out  ($150 at walmart) not sure of compatibility.  Ebay maybe cheaper.

Get some coax and make your own cable with RCA jacks on each end,  Check at the rad shack for cable ends, and 3.5mm stereo jack to right and left rca output. Twinax(remember this stuff) might work and would be handier.

Look into sound card with digital audio out.(if reciever can recieve digital audio)
     This is if you are concerned about signal loss.

I have even considered a fiber link. (provided sound card has fiber out.)

The laptop is viable however, Not sure of sound quality on the 10 year old laptops I have around.  Do I really want to be running an antique laptop for hours and hours and hours.

Peace

--- Begin Message ---
The problem (1): I want to listen to music (available as mp3 and ogg
files) in my dining room.

The problem (2): Although I have network ports in the living room /
dining room (and wireless), I don't have a computer there.  I'm not
fond of leaving a 300 W computer on all the time just in case, but I
know if it means booting a computer, going downstairs to tell it what
to play, etc., it won't get used much.

So I'm trying to find a (reasonably priced) solution that allows me to
have music up there.  I have an amp and speakers available.  Using a
tape deck or individual CD player doesn't work for me, as I want to be
able to have music play for an evening without need for intervention.

A friend pointed me to Roku:

    http://www.rokulabs.com/

I've also thought about an iPod-like device hooked up to the amp.
Ipods are too expensive for this application (I'd like to keep the
project under $100).  I thought about some sort of device that accepts
compact flash.  There would be ogg problems, but mp3 only might still
work out ok.

Needless to say, transfer of music files from my linux box has to
work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--
 Jeff